We want everyone who visits the SciSparc website to feel welcome and find the experience rewarding.
What are we doing?
To help us make the SciSparc website a positive place for everyone, we’ve been using the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.0. These guidelines explain how to make web content more accessible for people with disabilities, and user friendly for everyone.
The guidelines have three levels of accessibility (A, AA and AAA). We’ve chosen Level AA as the target for the SciSparc website.
How are we doing?
We’ve worked hard on the SciSparc website and believe we’ve achieved our goal of Level AA accessibility. We monitor the website regularly to maintain this, but if you do find any problems, please get in touch.
About our site
Our site is built with WordPress using Twenty Fifteen, an Accessibility Compliant theme by WordPress. The colors of the site were chosen for high contrast and tested using the Webaim color contrast checker.
Our site was tested with the screen readers NVDA and Chromvox.
CHANGING THE FONT SIZE (ZOOM)
To enlarge the font size use the keyboard short:
- For Windows, Linux, and Chrome OS, press Ctrl and +
- For Apple, press ⌘ and +
To decrease the font size use the keyboard short
- For Windows, Linux, and Chrome OS press Ctrl and –
- For Apple press ⌘ and –
To return to the default font size press Ctrl and 0 on Windows, Linux, and Chrome OS
We include a skip to content link. When you open a page, the first time you press tab, you will encounter this link.
All images have alternative content and videos have captions. At this time there isn’t any audio on the site.
We include H1, H2 heading in sequential order on our pages. Using assistive technology you can view the headings of each page.
The color contrast on this site conforms to the WCAG AA standard. However, if you want to change the contrast on this site, please follow instructions below for the browser that you are using.
To change contrast in Firefox
- From the main browser menu choose options
- From the options menu choose content
- Choose the color option on the right hand side
- The color menu will open up, choose your preferred foreground, background and link colors.
To change contrast in Chrome
- Go to the Chrome store and download the free extension, High Contrast
- The extension dialogue box will open where you can adjust the settings
- The icon for the extension will be placed on the bar near the menu icon. You can also manage the extension from the extension manager.
- Clicking on the icon will open the dialog box enabling you to change the settings
To change contrast in Explorer
- Use the keyboard shortcut ALT + left SHIFT + PRINT SCREEN to open the Windows high contrast dialog box. Choose yes to change the computer settings to high contrast. If you want to change your high contrast settings click on the Start button, choose control panel and then ease of access center.
To change contrast in Safari
- The contrast change is not done within Safari rather it is done through the computer’s settings. So go to settings and choose System Preferences
- Click on “Accessibility” and select the ‘Display’ panel
- Check the box for “Increase Contrast”
- Exit settings and open Safari and note the changes.
Go to settings and choose accessibility. There you will find options for large text and high contrast as well as text to speech output